ph 417-843-6265


Home Page Agent Login


General Information
Claims Information
Billing Information
Insurance Definitions
Coverage Questions

General Information
Back to top

What type of property does Barton Mutual insure?
We insure homes, mobile homes, farms, rentals, seasonals, small commercial risks and vacant properties within the state of Missouri. Contact an agent for a quote on your property. Find an agent near you.

What types of businesses does Barton Mutual insure?
We write small commercial accounts, including retail, office, service, churches, apartments, warehouses, restaurants, motels/hotels, light manufacturing and contractors. Contact your agent to discuss any of our commercial products and to get a quote. Find an agent near you.

What states do you write business in?
Missouri is currently the only state in which Barton Mutual is licensed to write business.

How much home insurance do I need?
Many questions need answered to determine how much coverage you need. One of our professional agents can assist you in that determination. Find an agent near you.

Who is my agent? How do I contact him/her?
Your agent’s name and contact information is on your declarations page and your invoice.

How do I change agents?
We require a signed written request to change agents. The agent you are transferring to can submit your signed Change Agent of Record request.

What factors impact the premium of my policy?
The age of your home, the fire protection class, your credit score, the wind experience across the state and the total experience of the statistical group in which you are placed all affect the rating of your policy. If you have a central alarm system or updated wiring in an older home, it could reduce the premium on your policy.

Why am I not notified in advance of rate changes each year?
Your billing should reach you about 30 days in advance, and that serves as notice of the rate change. Your agent is provided detailed information about the rate change and should be able to assist you in understanding the change. If you need further assistance, please contact our Customer Service department. E-mail us.

When should I make changes to my policy?
If you move, change phone numbers, change mortgagees or want to change any of the optional coverages on your policy, you should contact your agent as soon as possible to get the change made on your policy. If you change, remove or add wood heat of any kind, you should also contact your agent. If the value of your property changes significantly, contact your agent. It is your responsibility to make sure you carry enough coverage on your property. It is a good idea to have your home appraised periodically to be sure you carry enough coverage.

Do I need to run all questions, changes, claims, etc. through my agent’s office before I can call the home office?
No, but we do encourage communication between the agent and insured.

How do I get a commercial quote?
Contact one of our agents in your area to have them get a quote for you. Find an agent near you.

What does an umbrella policy cover?
An umbrella policy provides additional liability coverage for the named insured with higher liability limits. Primary policies generally cover bodily injury and property damage. The umbrella policy will kick in after the liability limit in one of the underlying primary policies, such as a homeowner or auto policy, run out. The umbrella policy will cover the insured above the amount of an underlying policy up to the coverage limit selected for a covered claim.

How do I cancel my policy?
Contact your agent or mail us a request. It's important to name the specific date of cancellation, and if you have a different mailing address, we'll need to know it as well. Although not mandatory, we would like to know the reason for cancellation. We cannot cancel a policy by phone.

Claims Information
Back to top

How do I file a claim?
Please contact your agent to report a claim. If you are unable to reach your agent, you may call our office to report the claim. Use extension 450.

I had damages on a weekend. How can I report a claim? What repairs can I make in the meantime?
Our regular business hours are 8:00-4:30 Monday through Friday. You can attempt to contact your agent or leave a voicemail in our after hours box. You can make temporary repairs but should not begin permanent repairs until the adjuster has inspected the property. Please save any receipts for expenses incurred due to temporary repairs.

How will filing a claim affect my rate?
Filing a claim will not affect your rate. At this time, we do not rate based on individual claims experience. The total experience of the statistical group in which you are placed determines if rate adjustments are necessary. Any rate adjustments would apply per policy grouping and affect a large group of policyholders.

Does paying premiums guarantee that my claim will be paid?
Paying premiums only guarantees that your policy remains in force. For a claim to be paid, it must be caused by a covered loss, policy conditions must be met and the damages must be higher than your deductible.

Does my deductible apply on an annual basis or is it per claim?
The deductible applies per claim. For example, if your deductible is $500 and you have a payable claim June 1, you would incur the cost of the deductible. If you had a second payable claim on July 1, you would again incur the cost of the deductible. Each time you have a claim you incur the deductible.

Will you hire the contractor to do my repairs or do I get to choose?
The choice of contractor is always up to you.

Is there a questionnaire or form I could refer to that would help me determine if I should file a claim?
No resources like that exist as far as we are aware. Contact an expert or your agent to discuss the damages. Remember that your deductible applies per claim.

I'm not certain I have damage, should I open a claim?
It is your decision as the insured whether or not to open a claim. If you are uncertain whether a claim should be opened, get someone to look at your damages with you to help you make a decision. Once your agent has submitted a loss notice to us a claim will be opened on your policy.

How/Will I be contacted after I file my claim?
Some claims require a field adjuster to come to your property to inspect the damages. Others, such as small theft, livestock, or lightning claims are handled from the office, and you will be contacted by telephone.  In the event we are unable to reach you by phone, we will mail paperwork to you.

Someone was injured on my property. Should I report the claim now or wait till later?
Your policy requires that you provide prompt notice of claim. It is in your best interest to report it as soon as possible so that we can investigate it. The incident could become a liability claim.

What do I do for a claim on water? Fire?
Contact your agent. The claim should be reported to the company as soon as possible so that an adjuster can make quick contact.

If my pipes freeze, what can I do? How can I prevent further damage?
Take necessary measures to thaw them out. If there is a broken pipe or a water leak, shut off the water. Contact your agent immediately.

If I cannot live in my house, will you pay for me to rent a hotel room or home in the interim?
If your policy contains coverage for Additional Living Costs, and your home is made uninhabitable by a covered loss, we will pay the additional costs of alternate living arrangements for the reasonable time it would take to repair or replace the property. This is subject to the coverage limit.

The estimates I've obtained for my repairs exceed the adjuster's appraisal, what should I do?
Contact our claims department before starting any repairs, obtain two estimates and send them to us for review. It's imperative that you wait to make permanent repairs until we have been able to review the claim for any possible additional damage.

Why is my mortgagee listed on my check?
We have a contractual duty to list the mortgagee on the check since they also have an interest in the property. You should contact your mortgage company for instructions on how to handle the endorsement and deposit of the check.

Billing Information
Back to top

What are the payment options and the fees?
Annual - no billing fee
Semi-Annual - $4 billing fee per billing or $8 per year
Quarterly - $4 billing fee per billing or $16 per year
Monthly - $1 billing fee per billing or $12 per year. The monthly payment option must be automatically drafted from a bank account. Use the Bank Draft Authorization Form to enroll in this option.

How do I change my billing mode?
If you wish to enroll in the monthly option, please fill out the Bank Draft Authorization Form and send it in to our office with two months premium. If you wish to change to a different mode, please call our home office or your agent.

Do you charge an additional fee to make a payment over the phone?
No! It is free to make a payment by phone. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and checks by phone. Call 417-843-6265 extension 459 to take advantage of these convenient payment options (Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:30).

How do I make a payment?
Barton can accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover or a check by phone. Call 417-843-6265 extension 459 to take advantage of these convenient payment options. (Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:30) We are pleased to offer these additional payment methods at no added cost to you! You are also welcome to mail a check to our office in the envelope provided with your billing. Your agent can also accept a check or credit card payment for us.

Can I make a payment online?
We hope to have the option available to our policyholders in the future, but right now we are not able to offer that service. You may call our office to make a free payment over the phone. You may also go to your agent’s office to make a payment. They can accept your Visa, Mastercard, Discover or a check.

How will a change on my policy affect the billing date? Amount?
If the change generates a premium, we will bill you with 25 days to pay the bill. The amount varies depending on the type of change you make.

Can I make a partial payment on my bill?
The lowest amount you can pay is two month’s premium, but then you must enroll in the monthly pay, which can only be done by automatic bank draft. If you make a partial payment, we will change your billing mode.

What is the overnight billing address?
PO Box 99 / 120 S Main Street, Liberal, MO 64762

My payment was late. Can my policy be reinstated?
A lapsed policy may be reinstated, but only after the premium is paid. If payment is received over 10 days past the due date, we may reinstate, charge a $25 fee, and the policy provided no coverage from the due date to the date of receipt of payment.

Insurance Definitions
Back to top

What is the automatic increase feature on my policy?
This feature increases your dwelling coverage to help keep up with inflation and the rising costs of building materials and construction. Though we increase your dwelling coverage annually, this is no guarantee your dwelling is adequately insured. It is the responsibility of the policyholder to determine adequate coverage. Contact your agent if you need help determining the adequate coverage amount for your property. It is also important that you notify your agent if you make significant changes that increase the value of your property.

What is an actual cash value (ACV) policy?
An ACV policy pays for loss to items (if the loss is covered by the policy) based on the value of the item at the time of loss. If your television was destroyed by fire, payment would be based on the age of the television; you would not receive payment based on what it is worth as a new television. The good news is, on most policies, you can purchase a coverage that will pay for an item of contents (such as the television) based on the new value - although the deductible will apply.

What is a replacement policy?
The claim is adjusted at replacement cost up to the policy limit. The policyholder is paid the actual cash value of the loss initially and can then "recover" an amount up to the amount of the withheld depreciation once repairs or replacement is completed. This is referred to as recoverable depreciation.

What is subrogation?
If a third party is responsible for the damages to your property, but you are forced to make a claim on your policy, we will pursue the third party to compensate us for the damages paid.

What is liability coverage?
Liability insurance protects the insured in the event of a lawsuit brought against them, generally by someone other than in the insured’s household. If the event is determined to be covered, we will provide an attorney, and if the insured is found negligent, we will pay all damages assessed up to the limit of the policy. Generally payment is not made to the insured, but to person(s) suffering loss that aren't a part of the insurance contract. When an incident happens, the insured should inform their insurer (us) immediately so the incident can be investigated and preparations can be made in the event the party or person brings a claim or files suit against the insured.

What is medical payments coverage?
Medical payments coverage applies for an injury to a third party regardless of whether the insured is liable for an incident. If a covered loss occurs, the medical payments limit is available to the injured party for necessary medical expenses.

What is a named perils policy?
A named perils policy is a policy that lists certain perils that are covered. If the damage isn't caused by one of the listed or named perils there is no coverage for the loss under this type of policy.

What is an open perils policy?
An open perils policy means that all types of loss are covered unless they are specifically excluded in the exclusions portion of the policy.

Coverage Questions
Back to top

How do I check the coverages I currently have?
Please contact your agent so that they may assist you in changing your policy or understanding your current coverages. You can get a copy of your current declaration page from your agent or by requesting a copy from our home office. Email us.

How do I find out if my policy covers “x”?
Please refer to your specific policy for the list of exclusions and coverages. If you have questions, please contact your agent for assistance in understanding your policy.

Why is there a roof exclusion on my policy?
A roof exclusion generally means your roof is worn out. We believe if something is worn out it then has no value, so there should be no coverage. Also, a roof that is worn out will more than likely sustain damage in a minor hail storm, while the roof in good condition wouldn’t show any damage.

Will my policy pay for damage to my trees and shrubs?
There may be limited coverage for trees and shrubs, but the coverage is also limited to certain events. You should check with your agent for coverage details.

Is my cell phone, music collection, home stereo equipment, etc. covered?
If your policy contains personal property coverage, these items would be covered—subject to the policy deductible—up to the policy limit in the event of a covered loss. If they are used for business purposes, there would be a limitation on the amount of coverage.

Are any items in my home not covered by my policy?
There may be items that are excluded or have limited coverage. You should consult your policy for these excluded or limited items.

If I conduct business at home, is my business property covered by my homeowner policy?
Your policy may contain a small amount of coverage for business property. If you have a business in your home, you should get a separate policy for that business property. Contact your agent to get a quote.

What damages aren't covered under my policy?
You should consult your specific policy for coverages and exclusions.

What is the maximum limit of coverage you will write on a commercial risk?
The amounts vary depending on the fire class your business falls in. The combined amount of the building and business personal property can go up to $500,000. Contact your agent to learn more and find out the maximum amount of coverage you might be eligible for.

These FAQs do not replace or override the wording in your policy. You should read your dec page and policy for specific policy provisions, limitations and exclusions. For a complete explanation of coverages, please consult one of our licensed agents.